Business ventures fail to take off daily, maybe even hourly and just what makes you think your new internet startup will not go under?
Failure will come if you are doing one or more of these:
1. Think that your online business will bring overnight riches to you. If you think that the saying “build it and it’ll come” will happen to your venture, you are bound for disappointment. The first step of success in whatever business endeavor you are in is having a correct mind set. Be prepared for a long marathon. Nothing will materialize if you are not completely set in for the long haul. Yes, somebody might just knock on your door and offers to buy your business even before it really takes off. But, this is luck talk and you don’t just rely on luck to succeed in business.
2. Turn to black-hat SEO. Now, you can attempt to adopt black hat SEO if you are prepared to waste all that you have just for kicks. Maybe Google hasn’t caught up with you yet and you are lucky:
a. Setup a site with auto-generated content. Google made a grand announcement early this year. It promise to weed out all blogs with auto content generation, for example feed syndication. The algorithm is already in place by the time you read this. Therefore, if you come across any so called Online Business Guru offering a solution similar to this…well, don’t say I did not warn you.
b. Hire a ghost writer who only copy and paste other people’s work into your site. Plagiarism is as bad as auto-blogs. Be smart when you hire freelancers. There is a tool called Copyscape. Google and other search engines despise copycats!
c. Keyword stuffing. One of the oldest trick in the book whereby bloggers stuff keywords all over the page. This spamdexing method is totally outdated. If you really want to cheat, keep yourself armed with the latest trend.
d. Hidden text. Another old fashion black-hat SEO. Keywords are blended into background with similar colors, seemingly to cheat those bots. Absurd and a total no no.
e. Not using ‘no-follow’ tags when linking to other sites’ URL. Nobody likes to experience the wrath of the great Google. It’s stated in their TOS. If you are caught selling links to other websites from a page of yours, risk being penalised.
f. Buying links without using common sense. I have seen this. A fellow blogger got a lousy domain name for mobile phones and had in the years, built up tremendous inbound-links into his site. Along the way, he bought loads of links using popular keywords. After the 4th or 5th year, Google flex its muscle and I might say, completely destroyed his adsense earnings.
3. Overspend on unnecessary ‘bells and whistles’ for your new website. There are a lot of free programs that can be used to build your online business. If you really have to, spend minimally. There are sites that can be build with $ 1000, $10,000, $100,000 depending on your whims and fancy. The only thing you should invest on is organic SEO.
4. Lost track of your original vision. Don’t listen to too many advises. Stick to your belief.
5. Not changing fast enough with environmental needs. This point may sound opposite to that of tip 4. The fact is, you should know when to tweak your business to blend well with the stakeholders like your customer needs, economic changes etc.
There are more. However, these tips above should form the framework of what you should NOT be doing for the next 3 years of your online business, if you really want to succeed.