The Metropolitan Opera plans to proceed with a tour to Japan this summer, citing the U.S. State Department’s lifting of its travel advisory to Tokyo, the opera said Tuesday.
The company had been evaluating whether to visit the disaster-ravaged country, particularly since some singers and musicians had reportedly expressed concerns about the safety risks. In a letter to company members Tuesday, General Manager Peter Gelb said the opera “will continue to monitor the situation, and if it should worsen, we will reevaluate.”
“Life in Tokyo, although understandably somewhat subdued, has returned to normal. Stores are fully stocked, power and transportation services are operating and restaurants and hotels are open,” Gelb wrote. He also noted that the company’s hotel in Tokyo, the Okura, is located next to the U.S. Embassy.