Please take a minute to let Maj. Gen. Nick Justice, Commanding General of Aberdeen Proving Ground, and Lt. Gen. Eric Schoomaker, Army Surgeon General, know that you want the U.S. Army to immediately halt the use of vervet monkeys in chemical casualty management training. We have provided text for you, but if you decide to write your own message, please be polite and encouraging. Here are some talking points:
- The use of monkeys in chemical casualty management training is cruel and should be stopped before the training course the week of Sept. 12.
- Monkeys’ anatomical differences from humans make it hard for trainees to recognize the signs of nerve agent attack.
- Modern, superior human-based training methods are already available and are being used in civilian medical training courses.
- A transition to only human-based methods would provide a better educational experience for military medical trainees.
- Please halt the upcoming shipment of monkeys to be used for this training.
This has got to stop!!!