The great thing about knowing all of these unusual things is simply that most people don’t. Therefore, if you are shy or timid, you may use several of the items below to break the ice with a desirable individual. If they are not amused and cannot add anything interesting to the conversation, please move on! I’ve highlighted the best ones for conversation purposes. Creative, intelligent and quirky people cannot waste time with dull and boring individuals who lack a decent sense of humor. Incidentally, this stuff is only the tip of the iceberg.
1. The present population of 5 billion plus people of the world is predicted to become 15 billion by 2080.
2. Worms taste like fried bacon, beetles taste like apples, and wasps like pine nuts.
3. The word ‘set’ in the English language, has the most definitions!
4. The “French kiss” in the English speaking world is known as an “English kiss” in France.
5. “Almost” is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order.
6. In 1386, a pig in France was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child
7. A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off!
8. Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
9. You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath
10. On every continent in the world there is a city called Rome.
11. When the last four letters are removed from the word “queue” it is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way.
12. The longest English word without a vowel is Rhythm.
13. In Iceland there is a law against having a pet dog!
14. Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day!
15. Horatio Nelson, one of England’s best known historical admirals was throughout his life,
never able to find a cure for his sea-sickness.
16. Right handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people
17. Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
18. The elephant is the only mammal that can’t jump!
19. Our feet house a quarter of the bodies’ bones!
20. In the same way all fingerprints are different all tongue prints are different also!
21. Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails!
22. It’s against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska, USA.
23. Every time we breathe our ribs move; that is 5 million times a year.
24. Dead skin makes up for most of the dust particles in your home!
25. The first known transfusion of blood was performed as early as 1667, when Jean-Baptiste,
transfused two pints of blood from a sheep to a young man.
26. The skeleton of Jeremy Bentham is present at all important meetings of the University of London
27. Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only ONE testicle.
28. Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian pharaohs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.
29. More people are killed each year from bees than from snakes.
30. The average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write approximately 50,000 English words.
31. More people are allergic to cow’s milk than any other food.
32. Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand.
33. Queen Elizabeth I regarded herself as a paragon of cleanliness. She declared that she bathed once every three months, whether she needed it or not
34. The placement of a donkey’s eyes in its’ head enables it to see all four feet at all times!
Why do you think they use donkey’s to take you down the path of the Grand Canyon?
35. The six official languages of the United Nations are: English, French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish.
In other words, those are the most important languages to know.
36. On average a hedgehog’s heart beats 300 times a minute.
37. Earth is the only planet not named after a god.
38. Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a “Friday the 13th.
39. You’re born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206.
40. Some worms will eat themselves if they can’t find any food!
41. Dolphins sleep with one eye open!
42. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open
43. The world’s oldest piece of chewing gum is 9000 years old!
44. Slugs have 4 noses.
45. Owls are the only birds that can see the colour blue.
46. A man named Charles Osborne had the hiccups for 69 years!
47. A giraffe can clean its ears with its 21-inch tongue!
Tell that to Gene Simmons! Wasn’t his nickname Giraffe?
48. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds
49. The average person laughs 10 times a day!