Manny Pacquiao’s camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.
Pacquiao’s financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won’t be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is “foolish from an economic standpoint.”
Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.
“Manny Pacquiao I’m calling you out let’s fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see,” he tweeted.
Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence for domestic violence until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.
The MGM Grand seats about 17,000, which could fetch around US$20 million in sales, but the larger arena could raise an additional $30 million, Koncz said.
In a separate interview with GMA, Pacquiao said that if Mayweather agrees to a “50-50 sharing, there will be no problem.”
Mayweather still stalling, hun?