Earlier this month, I had the opportunity to speak to Hollywood Beauty Specialist and beauty editor of Viva Glam Magazine, Katarina Van Derham, about Asian beauty. Katarina is a world re-known beauty specialist. When asked about her ideal concept of beauty, she stated, “I disagree with the belief that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know many people may agree with this. But there is a science behind what is attractive. And what is attractive is beauty. I know the science behind it whereas many people in the beauty industry don’t. To me, when it comes to beauty, I focus on the bone structure. If you have beautiful bone structure, you are more attractive. I consider myself a beauty specialist because I understand the science of beauty, not just makeup application. I understand that even if you don’t have specific measurements that make your face naturally beautiful, with correct makeup application, you can get as close as you can to what is considered the perfect face. Because I believe everyone woman has a best version of themselves, my goal is to help them discover it.” Katarina is one of the most recognized beauty specialists in Hollywood and has thousands of loyal followers. I asked her about tips specifically for the Asian face:
1. Eyeliner: Asian women use liquid eye liner most of the time. Half of the time they shouldn’t because the liquid eyeliner actually closes the eye. And most women want to open the eye. Sometimes replace the liquid eyeliner with a powder for a softer, smokier look. Take a small brush and dip it into eye shadow. Then, draw eyeliner with the eye shadow and smudge it. Do not wet it. Use a thin angled eyeliner brush.
2. Eyelashes: Don’t be afraid to add extra eye lashes, either strips or individual lashes. Asian eyes can take a lot, sometimes more than anyone else.
3. Contouring: Always contour your cheeks to define the cheekbone. One of the most beautiful elements of the Asian face are the cheeks. I love the fact Asian faces have broader cheeks so you can bring them out more than other races. Emphasize the cheeks.
4. Eyes: Embrace your almond eyes. Some Asian women want to have them round. But I think they have a beautiful shape. Don’t try to get away from the shape, embrace them.
5. Lips: Asian women should wear nice rich tones on their lips. Don’t be afraid of burgundies and deep reds. Asian women have more sallow undertones, but there is so much class in a deep red lipstick and gloss in Asian women especially with the beautiful Asian bone structure. Go with the deep red, especially for the holidays!
To learn more about Katarina Van Derham and her beauty tips go to: