Press releases are a great way to promote almost any event or business. They can be used for SEO, traffic generation, brand building, sales, expert creation, and many other things. Done correctly they work, if not, they don’t.
Below are 17 tips to make your press release work for you. Follow these tips and you will be on your way to press release success.
- Be sure that your content/information is newsworthy. Find the angle that allows what you want to say in a way that it will matter to readers.
- Tell the reader that the information is for them and why they should read it. Remember, they are thinking “what’s in it for me?”
- Start with a great headline. Make sure the first few sentences of the release let the reader know it’s important to them. This is when they decide if they will read on or not, so make it good.
- Write in simple language. The simpler the better. Go light on the adjectives and big words.
- Stick to the facts.
- Include pictures if possible.
- Write in an objective way, do not use first person language like you, we, I.
- Include quotes from authoritative relevant people commenting on the subject.
- Communicate a legitimate news story, that’s what press releases are supposed to be.
- Do not use sales language.
- Make sure the press release is publishable so that anyone who wants to publish it does not have to reformat or edit to make it work.
- Use proper attribution for sources.
- Press release should be a minimum of 250 words.
- If you are submitting for seo/search engines, remember that it’s still important that it is readable and useful to humans.
- Don’t use too many outbound links.
- Include an accurate conclusion that reflects what the release is about and also considers the future.
- Include valid contact information like contact name, address, phone, fax, email, website.