Trial proceedings in the December 16th Delhi gang-rape case will be held in-camera at a fast-track court, which on Monday decided to hear arguments on framing of charges against five accused on January 24.
Upholding the previous order of a magistrate, the special fast-track court judge said, “Only those who are connected with the case will stay in the courtroom. Others should vacate the court immediately.”
Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna also decided to hear “in-camera” the arguments on framing of charges against the five accused on January 24 as the judicial records were sent by the magisterial court after concluding the procedural formalities.
Invoking a legal provision that bars open court hearing, the special judge said, “As per section 327 (2) of the CrPC, the proceedings will be held in-camera and section 327 (3) prohibits anyone from publishing and printing the proceedings…I am upholding the same order passed by the Metropolitan Magistrate.”
Defense lawyers V.K. Anand and R.P. Singh objected to the ban on reporters, saying the decision could lead to misreporting.
Chief Justice Altamas Kabir inaugurated the fast-track court at Saket district courts complex earlier this month following a decision of the Delhi government.
Earlier, the metropolitan magistrate allowed Delhi police’s plea seeking in-camera proceedings following the chaos in the courtroom when the accused were being brought.
The accused have been charged under the IPC for murder, gangrape and destruction of evidence.