Twenty children were hospitalized today after they ate lunch at school in the state of Goa, days after 23 pupils died after eating food cooked in an eastern Indian school.
Police said the incident was reported in a privately-run school in the village of Usgao, 29 miles from Panaji, capital of the western Indian state.
Officials said the students were rushed to a state-run hospital after they ate what is known in India as ‘midday meals’ in school and fell ill.
They were later released after receiving first aid, they said.
Goa education department director Anil Powar said an inquiry was under way into the reported mass-poisoning in St. Joseph High School.
“Food samples are collected and sent for analysis with the state food and drugs administration laboratory,” he said, adding that the results had not yet been given.
Twenty-three children between four and 12 years of age died and scores more were taken ill on Tuesday after eating lunch served at their school in the eastern Bihar state.
Grieving parents attacked the Bihar headteacher’s house on Friday in protest over the deaths and the response by officials to the tragedy.