Did you know that Alexander Wang grew up in California, launched a fashion label in New York City, and now spends much of his time in Paris, where he’s the designer for Balenciaga and has just created his first perfume, B.Balenciaga? Of course you did! But here are some noteworthy facts about the favorite designer of cool girls everywhere that just might have escaped your attention.
1. The first fragrance he wore was CK One. “I wanted to be in that photo shoot with Kate Moss and Stella Tennant. It evoked a casual ease everyone wished they had.”
2. He designed B. the way he designs clothes. “When you create clothes, each person interprets them in her own way. When you create a scent, it blends with each person’s skin, oils, and pheromones.”
3. He put edamame in B. “I wanted something with sensuality, so we took lily of the valley and worked in cashmere and woods. And an edamame note. It’s a green scent that really struck a chord.”
4. He’s thrown wild Fashion Week parties in gas stations and shopping malls. “The right ingredients for a party are people, music, and location. If you have the right people, you can have a great party anywhere.”
5. French pharmacies are his skin-care mecca. “I love them. They feel like apothecaries. I buy Bioderma toner. I’m a product junkie.”
6. He mostly eats Japanese food in Paris. “I try a Japanese restaurant every day of the week. I go to Hanawa all the time.”
7. Those are macarons in his carry-on. “Now that Ladurée is in New York City, I bring my team Pierre Hermé.”
8. He’d smoke your Fitbit record. “I walk from my hotel to the Rue Saint-Honoré and end up in the Marais. Paris is about discovering, not about places I go back to.”
Alexander Wang is up there with the Hall of Fame Designers in my book! I just love his line!
Tres Tres Chic