Almost all women can easily spend a couple of hours looking for the right make-up products. Most women think they have found the perfect lipstick or eye shadow only to completely hate it soon after.
If you are among those women, these tips will help you choose your make-up so you look glam at all times.
Selecting Eye Shadow that Works
If you’re looking to buy an eye shadow or two for everyday wear, consider buying shades that work on you.
Applying eye shadow that is the same color as your eyes will make you look dull. If you have blue eyes and love blue eye shadow, you can apply it on your eyelids but you’ll need to blend it with another primary complimentary color. Make sure to apply the eye shadow that matches your eye color either on the inner or the outer corner of your eye and never on the middle of the eyelid.
- Colors such as pink, peach, orange, wine, coral, grey, black, etc. look great on blue eyes.
- Women with green eyes should go for colors like grey and those that have red undertones such as peach, apricot, and plum.
- If you have brown or hazel eyes, you’re lucky as most colors will look great on you. Choose from slate grey, amber, copper, charcoal, dark brown, olive, gold, lavender, etc
How an eye shadow will look on you also depends on your skin tone. Skin tones are categorized as warm and cool. While warm skin tones have golden or yellow undertones, cool skin tones have pink or blue undertones.
- Bronze, taupe, pink, coral, soft green, soft brown, and ivory work for the warm skin tone.
- If you have a cool skin tone, colors like pale blues, dark green, teal, grey, turquoise, lilac, and silver will look good on you.
Choosing the Right Lipstick
Sure you want to reach for that bright red or cherry pink lipstick. But you have to consider if the shade is going to flatter you or not. If you need to buy a lipstick that you can count on at all times whether you’re partying, having brunch with friends or just attending lectures, here’s how you can pick one.
- Consider the shape of your lips. If you have very thin lips, dark colors will make them look thinner. If you large lips that you need to underplay, stay away from very light shades and creamy finishes. Choose a lipstick that is just a few shades darker than your natural lip color.
- If you have a cool skin tone, pinks and berry-colored lipsticks will suit you. Warm-toned women can select from salmons, corals, and peaches.
- If you have brown eyes, rosy lips will balance your face. Blue-eyed girls can carry off coral shades and women with green or hazel eyes can accentuate their features with a cherry red lipstick.
- Choose reds wisely. Fair-skinned women can choose coral or dark reds with pink undertones. Cranberry and brick reds will compliment medium to olive skin tones. Red lipstick with burgundy and brown undertones will look good on dark-skinned women.
Applying Make-Up to Suit the Occasion
You need to consider the occasion and your clothes too when you apply eye shadow and other make-up. You don’t need to go heavy on make-up when you’re dressed in casual clothes like jeans, shorts, or personalized t-shirts. On the other hand, if you’re getting ready to attend a party, a little extra glam quotient will work in your favor. Also, make-up should be very subtle when you have to attend a daytime event.
You’ll be able to see many celebrities sporting the monochrome look; they wear a single color right from their eye shadow to their shoes. If you can carry off such a look, go ahead and use your confidence to your advantage.
If you are uncertain about the monochrome look, here’s how you can choose eye shadow depending on your outfit.
- Pick an eye shadow that is the same color as your outfit but in a different shade. This won’t create the monochromatic effect and will keep the look cohesive.
- If your outfit has one element in a contrasting color that is only slightly visible, choose eye shadow in that color to accentuate it.
- If you’re wearing an outfit that has different colors, pick any one color and use the same colored eye shadow. You can also pick an eye shadow the same color as your handbag, clutch, belt, or shoes.
- If you’re unsure about what color eye shadow to pick, go for the smoky eye look. This works with almost all outfits. Use neutral shades or incorporate a bright color into the look for a stunning effect. You can also use bright colored eyeliner with a smoky eye look done in neutral colors.
If you are worried about pairing the wrong lipstick with your outfit, here are some tips.
- If you’re wearing a yellow outfit, apply red lipstick to look effortlessly chic. Keep accessories to a minimum.
- Orange outfits and peachy lipsticks go hand in hand. On the other hand, coral lipsticks will work with blue outfits.
- Purple is difficult to match with other shades. So if your outfit is purple in color, go for nude lipstick or just lip gloss.
One rule to keep in mind is that you must never highlight both your eyes and your lips. Let the focus be either on your eyes or on your lips. If you want to draw attention to your dress or statement necklace, go for neutral make-up.
It may seem hard, but once you have the right colors by your side, you can look gorgeous without sweating it out.